Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Mmmmph...

It is 7:30 a.m., and I have been awake and active since 6. This whole getting up early in the morning thing is very very challenging. I seem to always be tired, and it can be difficult not to fall asleep in lectures (particularly those following lunch...fortunately most classes at that time of day are highly interactive and keep me alert). I am hopeing that once I get settled in, and once I get over this dratted lingering cold I seem to have developed, and once I get my eating habits back on track and maybe start some kind of excercise program, I'll find myself with more energy. This sounds great in theory, but where am I supposed to get the energy to do all this from initially? Bah.

There's really surprisingly little new to report since my last update. I suppose I could go on for a bit about my classes, but the truth is, most of them are still sort of in the introductory stages. We're learning about genetics this week...it's mostly stuff I have seen before. My anatomy lab continues to be fascinating. Last friday, we used a chisel to crack through some thoracic verterbrae and access the spinal cord. I was a little leery of chiselling through bones (some groups got to use power bone saws, but we decided to rough it), but everything else was great. This week we flip our cadavers over and go in through the ribs I believe...though I may be getting ahead of myself.

Apparently I get to start going out to a family practitioner's office the week after next and helping out with patients. They've divided us into two groups, those who go out earlier, and those who go out later. I'd rather be in the latter group, to be honest, because I know nothing about medicine yet and will feel a little out of place in a doctor's office. Apparently I may be asked (in fact, SHOULD be asked) to help with standard procedures...history taking, physical exams, etc. I'll have a grand total of four hours of training in preparation for this. Oh great.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lu Hill said...

Hmm, I should definitely send you those strippersize tapes. If they don't perk you up, they might do something for Jon.

So, if you aren't coming to the island, I will probably go to Van for the Thanksgiving weekend. My mom will be in Ontario with her sister anyways.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home