Friday, July 22, 2005

Influence of Geography

Well, the Southland's new album finally arrived at Zulu. I've been waiting for weeks with growing anticipation to hear their new stuff, and it doesn't disappoint. It's playing right now, and will definately continue to play for quite some time to come. Huzzah!

Things are rolling along with my med school preparations. I had an appointment with a nurse this morning to conduct an immunization review. Since we're going to be working with potentially infectious people, it's vital that our vaccinations are all up to date. I've got a couple of gaps in my records...gotta call Kelsey and ask them if the local health provider would still have records of my high school immunizations. I think I'm good for tetanus, diptheria, hep b, and rubella, but I need measels and mumps and polio and I'm still waiting on my tuberculosis skin test results. I'm thinking I'll get the hep a vaccinations too. I had some bloodwork dones today as well, they're gonna do a screening to make sure I've got high enough levels of hep b antibodies. If not, I'll need boosters of that too.

I also called the Royal Bank today and got my line of credit set up. Just gotta go in and sign on Monday and provide some contact references and that $150 grand is at my disposal. I'm gonna invest in an iBook as soon as I get a credit card. If you get a Mac right now, you get a free iPod mini (after a mail-in rebate). That's pretty wicked. Jon'll be all jealous and shit. lol

The roadtrip this weekend is looking like a no-go. Jay hasn't been in touch and I think the concert's sold out. Just as well really, I've got my tb test reading on Monday. If I miss it, they need to redo things. I've booked next weekend off instead, Linz'll be out here then, and we can hang out and shop and stuff. Yay! Also, Brad's having one of his infamous parties, and I'll finally be able to stay for the whole evening instead of having to go home/sleep/get ready for work/etc.

Must mark some MCAT essays today too. But I've got a big cup of coffee and some fresh cinnamon buns to help me along, so it's looking like this afternoon may be pretty decent!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lu Hill said...

Hi Keltie and Jon and Moe

Just in case you don't check your email much anymore, here's a paste of the letter I sent you . . .

About hiking . . . where? When? How hardcore / what equipment will I need? Do you still have a place I can crash?

So, I plan on coming to Vancouver this friday. I might travel over with Lindsay Coulson in the evening, I'm not sure. I wouldn't want to take any later than a 6 o'clock ferry, and I will probably go from Victoria, because I will be there in the early afternoon anyways. I don't know if Horseshoe bay is closer to Burnaby for Lindsay Coulson, but I will chat with her tonight.

What are you up to? Is it still fine for me to come stay at your place for the weekend? I hope you can go to Brad's party on the 30th, anyways. I will check and see if I can stay over there that night - I assume that I would have to leave pretty early, if I were to get back to Kitsilano that night.

I definitely need to veg out a bit this weekend though. I look forward to blowing some money at the Eatery and devouring scones and so forth from Muffin Break. If I'm at your place for a full evening, I will try and cook you some sort of dinner. I'd say I'd make you a nice fancy dinner, but knowing me I will forget an ingredient, and end up making some sort of wild experiment that may or may not work well.

So, tell me which bus routes to use again? Anything that gets me down to Granville Street, and then what? I can probably remember when I get there - something about the four and the seven both going from downtown past your place on Broadway, and also the 9 going down a parallel road. Near the La Senza on Granville where I dropped lots of money. Right, I sound organized . . . I might have it written somewhere . . . yeah, you had better tell me again . . .

See you soon!
-Lindsay

10:27 AM  
Blogger Lu Hill said...

Right, now I've actually read this blog entry . . . measles and rubella were given by the school in grade 8 or 9 for sure. I think grade 8 - and another thing, mumps I think, was thrown in with that shot.

Hep A is something I got as well. I'm sure you know this already, but you get the one shot and then a booster 6 to 12 months after. You should check the UBC medical plan on costs - it was $35 each time at UVic, so see if you get it partially covered before you go raring off on extras. Meningitis is also a good one to get, if you are going to totally sleep deprive yourself and wear yourself down with studying in close proximity to other disease laden students . . . $90 at UVic.

Hey, if we do end up living together in January, we can rabidly watch the boxed set of this show 'House' that I am going to buy. God I love that show. Have you seen any of it? It's one of the new doctor shows, about a brilliant diagnostician who is a total prick. It's great. Grey's Anatomy is lighter but also maybe good enough to buy . . . I don't spring for cable in the school year, but I have a DVD player!! I am obsessed with boxed sets now . . . so far I have only borrowed them from the library (Sports Night kicks ass!) but things are so much better when you watch them in sequence SANS COMMERCIALS.


150 Grand eh? Jesus, a bank loan? Good thing you are going to be a doctor, you might be able to pay it all back. Why couldn't you get a student loan from the government?

10:36 AM  
Blogger Keltok said...

I'm getting a govt loan as well actually. But they're only giving me 15 grand or something along those lines per year, and my living expenses (with rent and tuition and food and all) will be at least 25 k. Tuition along is 15 k...med school isn't as subsidized as other branches of education, probably because they figure we'll be able to pay loans off more easily.

I sent you an email. Ciao!

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home