Monday, June 27, 2005

Miscellany

In other news, I went an saw Batman Begins the other night. I was initially sceptical about this film, primarily because of the precipitous plummet the franchise has been enduring lately as far as quality goes. I loved the original Batman. Batman Forever, I enjoyed...but only because Jim Carrey is the quintessential Riddler. And Batman and Robin...oh god. I shall not start. Must...resist...urge...to mock....gah!

So yes. A movie about Batman's roots? With none of my favourite actors among the cast (except Michael Caine...geinus to end all geniuses)? Which gives us a glimpse into Batman's psychology? And features ninjas? God help me, I thought, this may be a Batman-comic-reader's wet dream, but I'm gonna be outta the loop and left behind.

But I went, because Jon was going, and I don't like to let him out of my sight for long. He gets into all kinds of mischeif.

Well, I walked out of that theater feeling like an idiot all right, but not for the reasons I'd anticipated. I felt stupid for having had doubts about this film in the first place! The acting was stellar (well, I can live without Katie Holmes, but let's not nitpick), the pacing was perfect--lots of violence and car crashes and bad guys doing what bad guys do (also, an unforseen bonus, some fun CGI effects with worms and maggots and glowy eyes) --the plot was engaging (it was undeniably cool to see Batman from the human side of things, as opposed to the icy-cool, super-slick fighting machine he's always been protrayed as). I left the theater desperately wishing the other films had never been made, so that the cast, crew, and director of this one could do 'em instead (well, maybe not the original Batman, because Jack Nicholson and Tim Burton...I mean come on. CAN you get any cooler?). I want to see this flim again. And then I want to learn how to dangle nasty people by one leg several stories above the ground. It seems like a good negotiation tactic. It worked for Batman anyways.

In other news. Queen's offered me a spot. I turned 'em down. Also, Reel Big Fish is coming to Vancouver in a month or so. I am rather excited about this show, as they (in conjunction with Less Than Jake) are responsible to for turning me on to Ska, which then led to Ska Punk, which is currently my poison of choice. I shall be there, I shall dance(skank) my butt off, and I shall procur for myself a T-shirt. And there will be much rejoicing.

4 Comments:

Blogger JonBen said...

HUZZAH!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Drew said...

April and I went to see it a little over a week ago. I went to it intent on ridiculing it and found that I couldn't. So I let out my frustration by getting my cute li'l ass kicked in a 94-minute sparring marathon with my Daai Si Ying (which, now that I think about it, is kinda irrelevant to the rest of this posting....).

At any rate, This movie kinda bummed me out, 'cause I'm all about the ridiculing.

I'm hoping that "War of the Worlds" or "Fantastic Four" will provide me with more ridiculing opportunities. You never know.

Damn it! Why did Hollywood have to start making good movies!?

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY girl
ive been thinking to go see that movie but now maybe ill just hafta go see it. he he

8:29 PM  
Blogger Lu Hill said...

I saw it too. But don't you think the last scene is sort of odd? It looks like he got dumped, but then it didn't . . . it was all sort of unclear, but not in the 'it is supposed to be ambiguous' way. Like the scene was longer and they cut out the part necessary for comprehension.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home