Friday, August 05, 2005

New Toys!

Well, August is upon us, this summer is drawing to a close, and I'm still trying to figure out where the heck it all went! Part of me can't wait for the damned thing to be over so I can get me some learnin'...but the rest (the SANE part) of me is sticking its metaphorical fingers into its ears and singing really loudly--off-key--to drown the first part out. For better or for worse, it's nearly done, and this chapter in my life is coming to a close, and another, bigger, scarier, more exhilerating one is right in front of me. Damn, don't get me started. I'm just trying to convince myself that someday this whole med thing will be just as mundane and comfortable as my undergrad degree proved to be. Myself remains sceptical.

Let's see, what's new. Linz came out this past weekend and we had three days of nearly-solid shopping (broken only by a party, an outing to a Greek restaurant, a watching of the Fab 4, and the necessary sleep). I spent lots of money and got a new mid-weight coat (yay) and 2 x pants and 3 x shirts. Gotta jazz up my wardrobe a bit. All I need now is a haircut and a new pair of big-ass shoes and I'll be ready to present myself to the people in my class. I'm cool! Really! I hardly ever say 'yo' anymore!

Sigh.

In other news, I got my new credit card today, and five minutes after I activated it, I used it to buy a new laptop! Yay! Again! My new baby is a Dell Inspiron 2200 (or something) with a 60 gig harddrive (which was all I cared about...though Jon looked at the processor and scoffed) and a CD burner/DVD rom and 14 inches of screen space. I also got a printer for 30 bucks, for emergencies only, and a wireless mouse, because those touch pads whatchawhosits suck (I personally loved my trackpoint, but Jon scoffed at that too...apparently I have poor taste in computers). I really really wanted to go Mac, but backed away at the last minute because my technological knowhow is very very sad, and I really don't want to find out if Macs are beyond it, that would just crush me. Maybe next time I'll buy Mac.

Preparations are going well. My LOC and student loan are all set up, got my last vaccination today (hep b, my antibodies from grade 6 weren't sufficient). Just need a money order for disability insurance and I'm all good. And a haircut. Can't forget that.

If all goes according to plan I'll be heading to Jasper for the 22-28th of August with Jon to put in some quality time with my family and get a bit of a vaction before my ever-so-rigorous fall semester starts up. I had a long talk with my dad this evening. It's cool to be able to talk to him about my future career. Apparently there are doctors in Duncan who are already offering to let me shadow them (including a very prominant radiologist!). It's neat to be getting a real first glimpse into this facet of my dad's life. And it's nice to know he's been through it all before me, and will be there if I get hung up on something. It may sound surprising, but it's not something I ever thought about much...he left every morning and came back every evening, and damned if I had any idea what went on in between. But I'm gonna learn.

And last, but certainly not least, my good friend Droo and his delightful gal will be in town on Monday/Tuesday next week. Droo, I'd love to hang out! I've got to work on Tuesday, from 1:30 to 9:30, but I'm free Monday (and Tuesday morning). Call me! I'll put my number up as my MSN name. Looking forward to seeing you guys again!

And now, I must mark more MCAT essays. Or maybe watch some more Frasier...hmmm...

3 Comments:

Blogger JonBen said...

First off the processor is shit, seriously 1.6GHz is way behind the times... years behind the times! Secondly I didn't scoff at your love of the track point so much as your insistence that the touch pad is inferior based on almost no experience with one.

Also Jasper will be awesome, and a part of me was disappointed that you didn't go Mac, as it would have given me the chance to fool around on OSX.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Infurnus Fila said...

I feel a cat sitting coming up>.>~giggles~ woo...since Mom and Peter are moving there's going to be a period where they'll be living out of the RV. Which means Demelza and Rufus are already getting use to the halters we bought them this morning...and get this>.> Rufus didn't complain once! Most odd for him!~L~

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totally agree with ya on where oh where has the summer gone away to. i dont know. just sorta let it slipped thru my fingers and i feel ilike i missed out on something very important, but not really sure what it was yet.

Wow girl.......sounds like you gals had a blast and half shopping very nice.

very kool with the computer too. school will be overwhelming at first but i have the greatest confidence that you will be just peacy fine.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home