Thursday, August 18, 2005

I Think My Brain is Melting.

Oh my god, I never posted about the Reel Big Fish concert! (Or maybe I did and am going blind. Either way, and update is needed!)

Oh wow, I can't believe I forgot. Okay, this concert was at the end of July and the Croatian Cultural Center. This venue is little. And there are no chairs. And the soundsystem sucks. And there is no ventilation. And the concert started at 8. And was an all-ages show. And the first band was okay but their sound quality sucked. And the second band just plain sucked and was too loud and I had to go sit in the lobby til they were done. And the third band consisted of a bunch of scary guys from Atlanta who were so cool I felt ashamed to be watching them (who the hell was I kidding, I wasn't no gansta yo). And by the time RBF hit the stage it was about 40 degrees Celcius in that hall and the sweat was flying.

So, did I have a crappy time or what, you ask?

Let me put it this way. If you put this band in an airtight, heated vault, with a set of ten-dollar speakers for a sound-system, an audience of lice-infested monkeys, and an opening act consisting of Hillary Duff and Jennifer Love Hewitt, I would still line up for tickets! Yes, they kicked that much ass.

For starters, for some reason, as soon as the band walked onstage, the sound quality was miraculously improved! (I guess that's what happens when you can pay a professional to do it, rather than having to beg a favour off of one of your friends.) This is a band that knows what's what. They have more energy than I would have believed possible, great charisma, flawless interaction with each other and the audience, and a thorough knowledge of good music. There were no glitches in their nearly two hour long set. They played all the great old songs (Sell Out, She's Famous Now, Everything Sucks, S.R.) most of the equally delicious new ones (Ban the Tube Top, Don't Start a Band, Your Guts (I Hate 'Em)), and even came up with an on-the-spot improv number in their encore (based, fittingly, on the ridiculous temperature of the room...one of the lines is the title of this post) . They even listened to the audience! There was a chanted request to hear Two-For-One, and they obliged willingly! By the time we got out of there, I had sweat pouring off me, but I would gladly have done it all again.

Of course, I got the t-shirt. It's in the style of the Thundercats. Oh god. Too much awesomeness! If it wasn't illegal I would kidnap the entire band and chain them in my basement (if I had one) so that I could hear them again whenever I felt like it.

Um. Not the most eloquent review, but I think it sums my feelings up nicely.

1 Comments:

Blogger allimalia said...

heya - got here from ur link on medicol. yay blogspot :) see ya monday!

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home