Friday, September 23, 2005

: , a med school odyssey

I can't believe we're three weeks into this semester already! There's so much information I have to learn! So many obscure and unweildy structures whose names and functions I have to know. So many polysyllabic words that must somehow be slotted into my memory banks. I think I really should be focusing on organization right now. Let the memory stuff come later, as long as this vast amount of material is arranged into a sensible, logical pattern. I need to focus on how everything interrelates and why, rather than trying to study things in isolation. This is something of a shift for me...I've always studied stuff in stand-alone chunks before. It's taking a little bit of getting used to.

On the other hand, it's amazing how well all this stuff is sticking in my head. Anatomy, histology, pathology, pharmacology, physiology, on both gross and microscopic levels, are all coming together for me. There's a ton of stuff I still need to go over, but what has been reviewed is already pretty solid. Hopefully I can keep on top of it.

It's been a busy week...over the weekend I taught some Kaplan courses, on Monday, I went to the poker night Jon blogged about elsewhere (did pretty well...I flatter myself that I might have placed 3rd out of 9...not bad for my first semi-serious attempt). Tuesday was A's birthday party (big 25!), so Jon and I missed game night to hit the Wolf and Hound and consume copious amounts of Guinness and port and play pool with a great group of peoples. Wednesday I (of necessity) did laundry. Thursday I taught again. Tonight is my evening off before I get to spend the weekend working at M.B. again. Somehow I managed to fit 4-5 hours of research for PBL, 3-4 hours of reading various assignments, a few hours of studying anatomy in as well, despite having class every day, usually for 8 hours. No wonder I feel a little drained. It's not so tough getting to bed at 11-12 at night if you've got to wake up at 6 the next morning once or twice a week, but five days running...ick.

I'd love nothing more than to be all witty and insightful in this post, but I'm a little drained, so I appologize. Oh wait, here's something cool:

I walked into the gigantic atrium of the Life Sciences building today (and by gigantic, I mean huge...4 stories high...god knows how long...bah, measurement sucks) and found it filled with a gigant, pink colon. You know those big inflated bouncy castles and velcro walls and things...basically cloth with air being pumped in? Now imagine one of those big castles, but pink and tubular and...well...colon-like. And this was a big colon. The lumen of this sucker was large enough for several people to walk abreast in. I was somewhat perplexed by the thing until I noticed so little polyps growing out the side of it, and then, as I rounded the protruding appendix, I can face to face with a little sign talking about colorectal cancer and advising people that tours of the colon were available and would take 5 minutes. How cool is that? I hope next week we have a giant nephron or auditory canal or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home