Monday, April 04, 2005

Can You Be a Country Singer If You Don't Like Dogs?

Man, I think I had a relapse of whatever it was that got me on that fateful flight. But on a much smaller scale. Bascially, I feel crappy...but not crappy enough to stop eating. It takes a lot of crappy to make my appetite go away, let me tell you. But not very much crappy to make me feel like not doing anything. Right now I'd really like to spend my day at home with my cat and some good movies and lots of Cadbury Mini Eggs (they're so on sale right now! Yay for post-Easter binging!). But I have to go to work. Where I'll probably be bitchy and miserable.

I've been listening to Dropkick Murphys a lots lately...very much enjoying their stuff. There's something irrisistable about the fusion of fast-paced punk and traditional Celtic music. The Rocky Road to Dublin is especially stellar.

With all my woebegone posting lately, I've been considering a career as a coutry-music lyricist. All they do is sing about pain and loss and how their man done run off with their dog and now they're all alone. But I am really more of a cat person than a dog person, and losing your cat just doesn't have that classic country angle. Nobody poses in a rusted-out chevy, wearing work-scarred leather, against a wide wild-country backdrop with their trusty cat at their side. My album cover photo would probably suck...it'd be missing the crucial dog or horse aspect. Would my music be missing a similar (but more metaphorical) aspect?

Questions for the ages yo. Questions for the ages.

4 Comments:

Blogger JonBen said...

You can take it to a new level of abstraction. Not only do you not have dog, but you can sing about the pain and suffering of not being a dog a person in the first place.

2:51 PM  
Blogger JonBen said...

We'll call it Country Squared.... which begs the question what will the practitioners of Country Cubed music sing about?

2:53 PM  
Blogger Keltok said...

You have a point. But with every level of abstraction, I am resticting myself to a smaller piece of the country music pie. See, everyone who loves country loves dogs, so they hear a song about someone losing a dog and it goes stright to their heartstrings, and hence, their wallets. But they're not as likely to sympathize with someone who is not a dog person to start with, and who is bent on whining about it. It all comes down to money. Country is a lucrative business...if you like dogs.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Drew said...

Hey, Keltie, Just added your blog to my list o' links.

Hugs,
Droo

exitsection.blogspot.com

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home