Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Waiting and Wanting

Ah Tuesdays, how I loathe thee. Or, perhaps more accurately, I loathe Jon's Tuesdays. Once again, I have been cuckolded by Quantum Mechanics. I am feeling very woebegone and there is much self-pitying and whimpering and deep-sighing. I consoled myself with Moe for a bit, but Moe left me for greener pastures (i.e. food-related ones), and I am now left, once again, to my own devices.

Got my sixth and final interview offer today. U of T, for April 16th. I know I'm a spoiled brat and there are plenty of people out there who'd LOVE to get an interview anywhere (and two months ago, if I'd heard that 6 of my 7 schools would offer me interviews, I'd have been thrilled!)...but Jesus fuck! Can't this end? I'm definately NOT enjoying this cross-country gallivanting stuff. I am starting to loathe planes with a passion previously reserved only for icicle lights (why, I ask you, why? I mean, okay, when there's snow around, it's kinda cool, but here in BC it's just another form of delusional behaviour. WE DON'T GET WINTER PEOPLE, DEAL WITH IT! Fake icicles are not going to make things any snowier, trust me!). Bah, I'm just feeling run-down lately.

Christ, the whining! I am one shrill bitch tonight!

So let me see...well, far be it for me to break this lovely trend I've established. Let's talk about Science World.

I volunteer at Science World. Mostly, this is office work...getting stuff organized for fundraisers and other events, typing up minutes from meetings, putting together promotional packages etc etc. But every once in a while, I get out there and mingle with the public doing exhibit interpretation (guiding people through the highlights of certain exhibits, of which Science World possesses many). Yesterday (Monday) was something altogether different, and far, far more terrifying.

This week is Spring Break for all the little elementary/junior high/high school kiddies, and because Mom and Dad get no corresponding break, they're desperate to shunt their children off somewhere where they are permitted (even encouraged) to run amok and be loud and messy and hyperactive. Science World provides such a venue. Last Monday, I spent what was possibly the longest three-hour chunk of time in the history of the universe making doodle tops. I was adrift, a solitary adult in a sea of 5, 6, 7 and 8 year olds, paper plate and marker in hand, showing an endless stream of children how to make tops that would DRAW ALL OVER EVERYTHING! Oh my god! Thrilling stuff!!!

Wanna know how to make one? Christ, I could do it in my sleep:
Take one paper plate. Punch a hole in the center. Push a marker through. Fix marker in place with two elastic bands, one on top, one on bottom, wound around and around as tightly as possible. Take lid off marker, spin top. Add paper clips strategically to give wieght and alter spin trajectory. Voila! Every parent's nightmare: something DESIGNED to write all over tables and floors with various markers.

Tomorrow, I go back. Tomorrow, I work with DUPLO (those oversized legos). God grant me strength.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home