Thursday, August 06, 2009

Okay, let's try this again.

So, to summarize things: I got accepted into the internal med program out here in Saskatoon, then I moved here in a giant u-haul truck with my then-fiancee, then I went back to Victoria and got married with all my family and friends in attendance, and then we moved back to Saskatoon (semi) premanently so that I could work. Everyone on the same page? Good.



We've been here for a month and a half now (time flies, seriously) and I have to admit I am kind of loving this city. It helps that we're in a fantastic location, a five minute walk from the shops and theaters and pubs on Broadway and the big box and grocery stores on 8th, ten minute bike from the beautiful grounds at the University of Saskatchewan and the banks of the river, and fifteen minute bike from downtown. We've done a pretty good job of seeing the sights this summer so far...it helps that my mother and Jordan's parents have been out to visit. There's more reason to get out and see stuff when the alternative is entertaining at home.

This city sure does love summer...there are festivals (yes, often plural) every weekend! I can't keep up with them all and so far have really only done the Fringe and the Taste of Saskatchewan. I have big plans to go to the Ex, however (the giant summer fair). All this revelry makes me a bit nervous...it's like everyone is breathing a huge sigh of relief between winters. I guess we'll see how bad it gets in a couple of months.

Work is...work. It's a wierd combination of thrilling and soul-crushing and I often go from feeling competent and intelligent to wondering why they ever let me into med school in a span of minutes. I've seen some pretty aweful things in my month here, but I've also seen some stuff that makes me glad I chose medicine. I'll probably share some of the more vivid stories eventually, but for now we'll leave things vague.

I am very much enjoying married life. I have to admit I was a bit concerned about moving in with Jord, because we've never lived together and I wasn't sure how our preferred environments would mesh. It's been pretty seamless so far. It helps that he's still looking for work, so he gets to do all the chores and cleaning and I get to reap the benefits. It'll be a bit more hassle when I actually have to help out. But so far our little family is flourishing...Moe has even become an outdoor cat in our very quiet suburban neighbourhood. He defends his turf with great zeal. We'll see what he makes of the snow.

So...enough summarizing? Neither witty nor earth-shattering...but this is a foundation post more than anything else. Now I can start spinning the real interesting stuff!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lu Hill said...

Heya Kelt,

Moe is defending his territory? Seriously? I would love to see that . . . I thought he could only put up a big fight with dust bunnies and blue mice. Has he found any animal friends to curl up with, like he always wanted to do with Guess?

I'm happy to hear that cohabitation is going well. For the most part, things are pretty good on that front with Brock - you'd be surprised to see how clean the kitchen and most of the apartment has gotten. If I want to do my share of the dirty dishes, I have to do them the day I create them . . .

I got Brock and his brother to carry that nasty white leather couchbed out to the dumpster, where some poor person appears to have immediately adopted it . . . so the living room is wildly different. Most of my detritus is in my old room, and most of Brock's is in your old room, so my love of stuff doesn't take over the place. The original plan was to have the bed in your old room and the computer in mine, but my dad gave Brock a computer, which is in my room, and my computer is in his, which is a bit odd but works because Brock if Brock stays up late clicking, I don't have to hear it. I think I'll take some pictures and put them on Facebook so you can marvel over the change. You want to do the same, so I can 'see' your new place?

I'll perhaps start writing in my blog too . . . no big promises, though!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Keltok said...

Yup, he chases neighbouring cats off all the time. It's kind of adorable. And then he comes inside and flops facedown on the couch. Being a dominant cat is so exhausting!
Definately send me pics. I'm glad things are working well with you and Brock. Our place looks wicked since my mom basically completely redecorated it. I'll post pics on facebook as soon as I can.
Say hi to everyone for me. (Rosemary says she's sad you didn't make it out this summer. Me too :( ...)

7:55 PM  
Blogger ingelosi9 said...

well im glad to hear things are going well with married life. i know you never lived together, but you really did spend alot of time together, so almost living together.

ive been keeping active as per norm. volunteering with MS, saanich centres, and whatnot...its been fun. had a good time this summer with fieran. but that now is over. oh well i know it wouldnt last, but thats ok.

my mom is doing better. :)

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home